Posted to rec.food.preserving
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Plethora of gifted pears - recipes for crockpot pear butter?

Linda wrote:

> My husband and I received a very large crate of (Bosc) pears from a
> friend (we live near Medford, the pear capital of the world!). I've
> looked at crockpot pear butter recipes on the Internet, but thought
> that I'd ask the experts (you guys) for your favorite crockpot pear
> butter recipe.

We recently made pear, plum and apple butter in the crockpot. The
general recipe is simple and similar for them all.

Remove the pit and fill the crockpot with skin-on fruit. Cook on high
until it starts bubbling then turn the lid diagonal so evaporation can
happen. Run on high while you're home, on low while you're not.

About a half day later scoop out the fruit and press through a sieve.
We have a conical one specifically for the purpose, must be an antique.
Back into the crockpot for further evaporation. Optionally add spices
now.

About a full day in there's fruit sauce in the crockpot, can half in
jars. About a day and a halk in there's fruit butter in the crockpot,
can that in jars.

For pears there's no need to add sweetener. For apples I think there's
no need either. The plums came out tart enough it needed some splenda
added before canning.

With the apple skins I currently have a batch of mead-like-stuff
fermenting. Two big jars of sorghum, one small jar of honey, a ball of
sieve mashed apple skins about the size of a softball to make a two
gallon batch. It should come out very roughly 10% alcohol, stronger
than I usually brew my mead.