Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Plethora of gifted pears - recipes for crockpot pear butter?

On 10/5/2010 10:18 AM, Linda wrote:
> My husband and I received a very large crate of (Bosc) pears from a
> friend (we live near Medford, the pear capital of the world!). I've
> looked at crockpot pear butter recipes on the Internet, but thought
> that I'd ask the experts (you guys) for your favorite crockpot pear
> butter recipe.

I've never made crock pot pear butter so can't help you there.

> I also have a large box of Comice pears that I need to turn into
> something yummy. I will be making Gale Gand's walnut pear cake this
> afternoon.
>
> I do have a Cook N Home 9-1/2-Quart Stainless-Steel Juicer Steamer
> that I can use if needed.

You can juice the pears out and then make pear jelly. Depending upon the
ripeness of the pears the color can range from a pale yellow to a rosy
yellow. There are recipes in most preserving books.

> If I have more pears that I can deal with I do plan on bringing a
> bunch of them to our local senior center. There are only two of us
> living in our house (both 61-years old) and can't eat a whole lot (and
> I still need to make another batch of tomato sauce and another batch
> of green tomato relish).
>
> TIA.

If you have a food strainer of some sort you can always make pear sauce.
I make some each year and flavor it either cinnamon or another spice,
whichever you favor. Then the pulp can be made into pear sauce, giving
you two delicious pear products to eat and/or share. There's nothing
wrong with pear slices preserved in a light syrup either. Last year I
put them up in a Splenda syrup which helps with my carb allowance. Good
luck.