Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Old rice

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:57:02 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >, Brooklyn1
>wrote:
>
>> >Here's a good read on the shelf life of rice.
>> >http://www.buzzle.com/articles/shelf-life-of-rice.html

>> Pretty silly article: says "rice should be stored at 70 degrees F, in
>> cool, dry place."... 70ºF or cool, which one?

>I don't go thru much rice either, so I freeze it, especially since I use
>only brown, red and black rice. Gave up white rice a long time ago.
>
>I store rice (and beans) in my chest freezer.

Brown rice can go rancid so freezing is a good thing (I don't know
about red/black rice). Beans can be damaged from freezing. Properly
stored beans can keep indefinitely... beans are seeds, if they
germinate they are good to eat... packagers of late print use-by dates
because they've come to realize how poorly folks (including
storekeepers) store beans. If you live in a hot and/or humid clime
and don't maintain good air contioning then beans will spoil rather
rapidly. There are many types of white rice that I sometimes buy in
small quantities; basmati, jasmine, arborio, etc. I detest brown rice
and I'm certainly not going to eat it for what miniscule nutrition it
contains, there are far more nutritious substitutes... I don't eat a
lot of rice because mostly I eat kasha.