Posted to alt.food.asian
Ian Ian is offline

Default How to make tamarind paste?

On 8/14/2010 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 12:31:31 +0000, XmisterIS wrote:
>
>> Now I really like the flavour of the tamarind from the block, but how
>> can I turn it into a paste?

> Soak it in the same volume of hot water, microwave gently if needed or
> simmer, then press it through a colander or seive.
>
> -sw

You'll have to work the tamarind a bit to separate the flesh from the
pits. An easier alternative is the liquid tamarind you find in Thai
groceries - like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Tamarind-...2007543&sr=1-2

If you use this, though, add a little more than the recipe calls for,
since its a bit less concentrated than the pulp should be.

Ian