Posted to rec.food.preserving
Marilyn[_3_] Marilyn[_3_] is offline

Default Substituting Lime Juice for Lemon Juice

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 8/10/2010 1:15 AM, Marilyn wrote:
>> "Melba's > wrote in message
>>> In >,

>>> I'd do it without thinking twice. Lime is about acidic as fruit gets.
>>> I love it.

>> And that's why I asked you, oh, mother of all things jammy. One batch
>> yielded 5 12-oz. jars. My daughter comes into the kitchen and does a
>> double-take because I've never used that size before. She's used to
>> 4-oz.,
>> 8 oz. and pints for jam. I think I like this size, though.
>>
>> I didn't taste the jam because it all went into the jars with no excess.
>>

> Send sample, I will let you know how it tastes, going to bake biscuits
> now.

Oh, it's going to get sampled here for sure, just that I have a policy about
the jars not getting opened within a certain amount of time after
processing. I always feel like I've wasted a lid that way because if I was
going to eat it right away, I'd just put a plastic screw lid on the jar and
stick it in the fridge.

This morning I made Bluebarb jam from a recipe in the Complete Book of
Small-Batch Preserving. Nice book for making special things without having
mass quantities. So I used up my blueberries (I'd only bought a 4-pound
box) and decimated our lone rhubarb plant for the year. Ended up with 5
12-oz. jars of it, too. And once again substituted lime juice for lemon
juice. Got to use the lime juice up some way. I won't, however, be using
it when I start canning tomatoes. Back to the lemon juice for that.

--
-Marilyn