Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Substituting Lime Juice for Lemon Juice

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Marilyn" > wrote:
> >
> >> different so I was thinking of making the blueberry-spice jam he
> >> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...spice_jam.html.
> >>
> >> It calls for 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Could I substitute lime juice?

> > I'd do it without thinking twice. Lime is about acidic as fruit gets.
> > I love it.

> And that's why I asked you, oh, mother of all things jammy. One batch
> yielded 5 12-oz. jars. My daughter comes into the kitchen and does a
> double-take because I've never used that size before. She's used to 4-oz.,
> 8 oz. and pints for jam. I think I like this size, though.
>
> I didn't taste the jam because it all went into the jars with no excess.

LOL!! I did an interview for Indiana public radio last week
(www.eartheats.org, their podcast and blog); during the course of our
conversation, the host asked me something about eating my jam and I do
believe I set her back on her chair when I said I don't eat it. :-) I
backpedaled a little bit and said that I usually just taste the pan
scrapings, and it's not that I don't *like* the stuff, but that I simply
don't think about eating it very often. I have memories of hot buttered
toast with Mom's raspberry jam on top but I rarely eat it now. <shrug>

When I was contacted by the show's host about the podcast, I was told
that we would do a 15-20 minute phone interview and she would use about
two minutes in the podcast. Well-l-l-l, we talked for 68 minutes!
Great fun and I know I gave her a couple things about the whole
preserving thang that had never crossed her mind before. A couple days
later she said she will probably publish 30 minutes of the total
interview. I do not know if that's 30 minutes on the podcast (sounds
like an awful lot to me) or what. <shrugs> The blog site will have the
edited transcript. Should be fun and I can't wait to find out when it's
ready.

Ohboy. It's 9:38 a.m. here and we're getting a heavy rain. My toes are
webbed.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of