Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Substituting Lime Juice for Lemon Juice

Marilyn wrote:
> I don't know if this question has come up before, but I just bought 4 pounds
> of blueberries and am getting ready to make them into jam. I have made
> Barb's blueberry lemon jam before and it was good. However, I don't want to
> have to go out and buy liquid pectin and I wanted something a little
> different so I was thinking of making the blueberry-spice jam he
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...spice_jam.html.
>
> It calls for 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Could I substitute lime juice? The
> reason I ask is that I just bought a gallon of lime juice (what can I say,
> it was on sale for $4.99) to use when I made tomatillo salsa (I canned 23
> pints Friday). Obviously, I didn't need a gallon of it. I know there are
> recipes that use grated lime peel and juice from the lime, but all I want to
> do is use the juice.

If it's full strength, it will work fine. Lime juice is more acid
than lemon juice, but not enough more to cause problems unless it's a
major ingredient (like lime marmalade.)

BTW, you can also make an interesting blueberry jam without adding
pectin by using a whole sliced lemon.

Bob