Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default Grill Assembly - Trust Home Depot or Do It Myself?

Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> (GregS) wrote:
>
>> In article
>> >, Philly
>> > wrote:
>>> I'm looking at buying a grill. If I buy it from Amazon, I can save the
>>> sales tax (about $40) but I have to assemble it myself. If I buy it
>> >from Home Depot, I can have them assemble it but pay the sales tax.
>>> Does Home Depot do a good job with assembly? Or will my OCD self do a
>>> better job? $40 either way isn't really a deal-breaker, but if I can
>>> get someone else to (competently) assemble, why not?
>>>
>>> Also, does anyone know if Home Depot will deliver the assembled grill
>>> for free? I know they will deliver unassembled for free but it might
>>> be difficult for me to transport an assembled grill.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Me and my dad assembled a Sam's Club grill. we barely had enough
>> manpower to hold the thing in place while tightning screws. The cast
>> iron compoents were heavy.
>>
>> I definately could not do it myself. Have no idea what your grill consists
>> of.
>>
>> greg

> My mom and I assembled my New Braunfels grill (and that was when mom was
> still healthy!) and it was difficult with two people. That fire box
> offset was heavy as hell!

I needed to lift 60 lbs last week. Difficult for me to do alone. I
figured out other ways to get done what I needed. It's difficult for me
to say I can't lift 60 lbs. But my back is worth not ruining either...

I take it your sister was not married yet ;-)

> We did it tho'.
>
> I really don't think that one person alone could possibly assemble one.

Lots of assembly needs 4 arms and hands..

> Some home stores have services for assembly and installation, but it's
> not free.

I hate helping my sister install her room air conditioner each spring.
She wants to do it, because she wants to do it. But needs the extra
hands. Maybe her 20 YO daughter is providing those extra hands now.

I don't know who is providing the swear words though !!!

BBQ