Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_2_] Kent[_2_] is offline

Default Grill Assembly - Trust Home Depot or Do It Myself?

"Philly Ray" > wrote in message
> I'm looking at buying a grill. If I buy it from Amazon, I can save the
> sales tax (about $40) but I have to assemble it myself. If I buy it
> from Home Depot, I can have them assemble it but pay the sales tax.
> Does Home Depot do a good job with assembly? Or will my OCD self do a
> better job? $40 either way isn't really a deal-breaker, but if I can
> get someone else to (competently) assemble, why not?
>
> Also, does anyone know if Home Depot will deliver the assembled grill
> for free? I know they will deliver unassembled for free but it might
> be difficult for me to transport an assembled grill.
>
> Thanks.

It's not as negative as you'd think to assemble a grill, and you really need
to know where the parts are. How is a replacement burner installed, etc.
You'll recognize a part failure and replace it with much less effort if
you've assembled it yourself. Also, you can get lower prices and free
shipping at Amazon, especially if you wait a bit for things to come on sale.
I had Home Depot assemble deliver a Weber gas grill years ago. I wouldn't do
it again. There were a few scratches. Some pieces required tightening of the
screws holding them.

If I were looking for a grill now I'd want to have one with an infrared
element that will sear meat, at a higher temperature than the standard
propane grill. The only midpriced infrared grills at present are the
Charbroil Quantum series at Home Depot. I understand Lowe's, as well, has
name brand grills, probably Charbroil, that are only sold at Lowe's. If you
see a grill you want at Home Depot, you may well have to buy it there.

Consumer Reports recently tested gas grills, and as half expected the
$$$Weber Genesis$$$ was #1. The Charbroil infrared grills did well in their
ratings; one was considered a best buy. They didn't say a word about its
expected higher searing temp. Does it sear better or doesn't it? I have a
feeling that CU doesn't know anything about grilling.

Kent