Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Raw Oysters

cshenk > wrote:

>>>Steve, depends on the market and they arent getting 'live oysters shipped
>>>from China' there.

>> Well, I've encountered only bad seafood from those tanks.

>Thats unfortunate.

>> I also notice that, with a few specific exceptions, high-end
>> restaurants and fish markets do not keep seafood in tanks.
>> (Those excpetions are lobsters and crabs, which are kept live in
>> tanks, in and out of water respectively).

>You do not see them or they buy from those who have them and cook same day.

I am not sure why you would say this.

>> I have never, ever encountered a good seafood restaurant
>> or a good seafood retailer keeping oysters in tanks.
>> I'm not saying it's for sure meritless but it's not
>> the way people who make it their business to serve good
>> oysters do it.

>You have not experienced it is all.

That's true, but this thread provides another datapoint on
bad oysters coming from a tank.

>Live clams and oysters for example are best kept in live running water
>tanks.

I won't rule out that this may be true, but I haven't seen any
evidence of it. Hi-quality restaurants and fishmongers keep
clams and oysters live on ice, out of water. I know of no
contradicting datapoints.

Steve