Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Raw Oysters

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:33:47 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> I'm expecting hot weather today, so I'm not planning
> to cook anything until the evening. I took a look
> at the oyster tank at the nearby Asian market, and
> I found a really big one. At only $0.69, it seemed
> like a great deal. I could eat it raw, so that
> would not heat up the house.
>
> This time, to avoid self-inflicted injury, I opened
> it by attacking the hinge with a large screwdriver
> and mallet. I really had to beat on that thing
> before I could get it open, but I finally won.

If you open them from the hinge, you should never have to beat on it.
All you need is a little leverage and it pops open.

> This might be the last oyster I ever eat. It was
> okay, but I'm not sure I really appreciate raw
> oyster. I'd much rather eat steamed clams.
>
> If I do eat oysters in the future, I think I'll
> cook them. I've smoked them on the BBQ before
> and those came out great.

They are the *best* and you cook them as little as possible. Just
until they "pop" open slightly. Makes the meat fairly
rare/raw/uncooked, just the way I like it. All it needs is a squirt
of lemon and a dash of hot sauce, then down the hatch.

> The abductor muscle
> becomes really tough, but the rest of the flesh
> takes on a very nice texture -- firmer than raw,
> but still very tender like a block of cream cheese.
> Chilled and then sliced, it's great.
>
> Anyone have any other suggestions for cooking
> oysters?

Chop up the oyster(s) and saute the pieces quickly in a pan of real
butter and more garlic than you think you'd ever eat in a lifetime.
Serve on slices of baguette. Eat standing up, over the pan is
preferable. <slobber>

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.