Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Raw Oysters

I'm expecting hot weather today, so I'm not planning
to cook anything until the evening. I took a look
at the oyster tank at the nearby Asian market, and
I found a really big one. At only $0.69, it seemed
like a great deal. I could eat it raw, so that
would not heat up the house.

This time, to avoid self-inflicted injury, I opened
it by attacking the hinge with a large screwdriver
and mallet. I really had to beat on that thing
before I could get it open, but I finally won.

This might be the last oyster I ever eat. It was
okay, but I'm not sure I really appreciate raw
oyster. I'd much rather eat steamed clams.

If I do eat oysters in the future, I think I'll
cook them. I've smoked them on the BBQ before
and those came out great. The abductor muscle
becomes really tough, but the rest of the flesh
takes on a very nice texture -- firmer than raw,
but still very tender like a block of cream cheese.
Chilled and then sliced, it's great.

Anyone have any other suggestions for cooking
oysters?