Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Sweet Hungarian paprika substitute?

Don Martinich wrote:
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
>> There's a chicken dish I'd like to try, but can't find the sweet
>> Hungarian paprika recommended. Any ideas on what to substitute?

> Spanish and generic paprika do *not* have the same flavor as Hungarian
> paprika.

Some people are very sensative to differences in paprika and think it
hot. Some people are very insensative to difference in paprika and
think it a pretty red with a slight and subtle aroma. The first time I
encountered someone senative to paprika I thought his head was going to
explode when he tasted my stew.

If the members of your family are insensative to the type of heat in
paprika the exact type is not all that important. The fresh and smoked
types have a nice richer aroma but any version works. The hot and sweet
types aren't all that different to the unsensative folks but they are
very different to the sensative folks.

It also works to use a different type of dried ground red pepper.
Definitely not the same but if you try a hot type you'll find out what
it's like to be someone sensative to the heat of paprika.