Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Canning jars

On 7/3/2010 3:01 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>> I just know some unknowing young person out there is throwing
>> grannie's or momma's fruit jars away as I type this.

> Absolutely. Do you have a local "Freecycle" online access? I think you
> can ask for things as well as list things to give away.

Yup, we joined it for a week. Miz Anne had gotten about 50 pour molds
for ceramics when a neighbor donated a kiln for her classroom. We posted
them at 0900 one morning and by 0905 they were taken, picked up at 0930
same day. Young lady who was starting a ceramics business to eke out her
disability insurance money got them. She sends us a Christmas card every
year. Other than that I never saw anything I wanted on there.

> When we lived in RI I posted the following in a swap column in the local
> paper:
>
> "Wanted: Concord Grapes. Will trade jars of jam for same."
>
> I had four calls from people wanting grapes, no one offering, and I know
> there were grapes rotting on the vines in certain neighborhoods. We
> planted our own vines the following year and usually had more than we
> could use.
>
> We also planted Concord vines when we moved to this house. Mistake. We
> should have planted table grapes. The raccoons eat their fill because we
> have no more grape jam eaters in the house.
>
> gloria p

Picked a pickup truck load of wild grapes at our deer lease back in the
sixties. Just backed the truck up under one of the Bois d'Arc trees the
vines were growing on and Dad and I put plastic in the truck bed and
then pulled grape clusters until our hands hurt. Drove the 150 miles
home and then unloaded them. Miz Anne and the kids and I squashed them
and ran them through the mill and made lots and lots of jelly and then
several five gallon jugs of wine were perking in the garage. I never got
so tired of grape jelly and wine in my life. Never did that again.
Occasionally I will pick muscadines (scuppernongs) that a friend has
several arbors of. I make jelly and pretty much give it away as I am not
fond of grape jelly. I do eat a lot of table grapes when I can get them
though. Being diabetic I am only allowed to eat fifteen grapes a day and
that isn't much.