Posted to rec.food.preserving
gloria.p gloria.p is offline

Default Canning jars

George Shirley wrote:
> On 7/3/2010 7:34 AM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:40:40 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:

>>> Hmm, that's no bargain here, Jorge.

>> Not here either. I priced half-pint ball jars at the local grocery
>> here in the sticks at $6.46 a box.

> It is around here, even Walmart gets more for half-pint jars, they stock
> Ball as does Kroger.

I went the Big Lots route, too, George, since it looks as though we'll
have a good crop of apricots and I want to make "crispy cukes"
aka bread and butter pickles. Haven't found Pickle Crisp anywhere
and I've looked everywhere, but we do have a pretty complete brewing
shop a mile away, so I'll get the generic equivalent.

As far as $6 jars, that IS a bargain here. The thrift shops are
charging ~50 cents a jar, no lids or bands. It sounds as though the
price depends a lot on how much canning gets done in your area.
I missed the big weekend for neighborhood yard sales here (6/12)
because we had torrential rains and it wasn't worth the effort to nose
out some canning jars.

gloria p