Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbrickerNOSPAM@verizon.net is offline

Default Quantity suggestions (pulled pork for 200 sandwiches)

On 12-Jun-2010, bbq > wrote:

> On 6/12/2010 12:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > Figure 1/4lb of pork for each sandwich (not including sauce and
> > slaw). You did say 'healthy', right?
> >
> > 4.5lbs of meat per butt net weight.
> >
> > 17 sandwiches per butt.
> >
> > I say 13-14 butts. I have of course used the worse case scenario
> > at each calculation/estimation.
> >
> > -sw

> Your 4.5 lbs of meat per butt is equal to my calculation based on a butt
> being 7 lbs.
>
> We differ though on "healthy size". Unless you're comparing them to a
> White Castle or Krystal burger ;-)
>
> BBQ

Back when I started this smoking game, I weighed everything I cooked before
and after. You can count on butts to lose 40% minimum. Out typical butts
around here are 7 to about 8.5 lbs. Good average is about 7.5 lbs with bone.
Shredded and or chopped pork is pretty light per volumn. I'm afraid I have
never weighed the amount of meat that will fit on a bun, but I have to guess
at about 1/4 lb and maybe a bit less. (Without sauce). It'll be heavier if
you
mix sauce into it. Based on that I come out with 11 butts with no safety
factor. I'd cook 13. Cooks get grumpy if they have to turn hungry people
away. You have to allow for male teen agers also. They tend to eat three
times as much as their femaile peers.

--
Brick (Stumbling around in the dark)