Posted to rec.food.cooking
PL[_5_] PL[_5_] is offline

Default Getting the salt out of olives

Tommy Joe > wrote in news:490b76fa-bb4c-42ce-a1a8-
:

> I have to ask though, how long does one soak the olives? I've soaked
> olive and rinsed them multiple times with some positive effect, but
> not enough to suit me. Yes, I've had the water based kalamatas, as
> suggested by another person. I used to get olives at an armenian
> place in Hollywood that were oily, which is good, but seemed hardly
> salty at all. They were kalamatas, which I like. But my favorite is
> the small green olives with the pits still in them.

In your case, just slash the whole olive on both sides to open the fruit
to the water..... but follow the instructions otherwise.

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/reci...ve-schiacciate

"1. Place an olive on the board and hit it gently with the mallet, a
hammer, or a rolling pin, so that you can easily remove the stone. Do as
many as you like. Place your olives in fresh water and change that water
twice a day for eight days. On the eighth day they should be slightly
bitter, but not as much as a fresh olive. If they are too bitter for your
taste, continue to change the water until their taste suits you."

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Pain is your friend, your ally, it will tell you when you are seriously
injured, it will keep you awake and angry, and remind you to finish the
job and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain?

It lets you know you're not dead yet!