Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tommy Joe Tommy Joe is offline

Default Getting the salt out of olives

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:20:13 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe wrote:
>
> > How do you do it?

> Replace all or some of the brine with water. Osmosis will take
> over and the unsalted water will replace the salt water in the
> olives.
>
> -sw

Too tired and lazy at present to answer each post individually,
but want to thank everyone for the helpful responses. For you Sqewtz,
I have to ask though, how long does one soak the olives? I've soaked
olive and rinsed them multiple times with some positive effect, but
not enough to suit me. Yes, I've had the water based kalamatas, as
suggested by another person. I used to get olives at an armenian
place in Hollywood that were oily, which is good, but seemed hardly
salty at all. They were kalamatas, which I like. But my favorite is
the small green olives with the pits still in them. Thanks again to
all.

TJ