Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default Quantity suggestions (pulled pork for 200 sandwiches)

On 6/12/2010 12:01 PM, Chef Juke wrote:
> Hey kids,
>
> So, I'm barbecuing for a fundraiser this fall and need to make enough
> pulled pork for 200 healthy sized sandwiches.
>
> Now I usually just eyeball amounts when doing a lage cook, but have a
> more limited budget this time and need to keep the margins a little
> tighter, so I wanted folks ideas on how many lbs of raw pork butt
> they'd start with for 200 sandwiches?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!"
> http://www.chefjuke.com

I normally consider getting about 60 percent of pulled pork from a butt.
Though I never weighed it accurately after the cook.

Lets consider 65 percent for this, being on a tighter budget.

A healthy sandwich to me is 1/3 lb. You will need approximately 65 lbs
of pulled pork. This is easy math... You will need approximately 100 lbs
of pork to start out with.

A pork shoulder is 11-14 lbs. Let's say average is 12. 8 pork shoulders
and a 7 lb butt will get you the 100 lbs. to start with.

Not sure of the cost of shoulders. Walmart Super store sells them
occasionally. Let's hope no more than $1.49 lb. Maybe a distributer can
get you a better price if they support the fundraiser.

Are you really going to pull all that? That's a lot of pulling !!
I went to a pig roast and instead of pulling, they sliced it. Fairly
thick. Maybe 1/2 inch or more. Made for a nice sandwich. Nice and
tender, easy eating.

Enjoy the cook.

BBQ