Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tommy Joe Tommy Joe is offline

Default Getting the salt out of olives

How do you do it? I know the stuff is engrained in the olives.
I've never had an olive made without salt. Never had one right from
the tree, or one that has been cured some other way. I'm obviously
not an olive expert although I know what I like. I used to buy mine
cheap at an arab market that has since shut down. Now when I get them
I use whole foods, $9 a pound. The ones I get are nice. I used to
get the piccholines, but they don't have them anymore. But they're
too salty. I tried soaking them in water multiple times but it didn't
do a great job. Does anyone know another method, or some kind of
secret to rinsing that gets out more salt. With me it's not an issue
of health, I just don't like the taste. The arab ones had less salt,
the small green ones. I'd rinse them multiple times anyway, then
squeeze the juice of a lemon in along with some olive oil and crushed
oregano and fresh minced garlic with water about halfway up. Very
good. Anyway, any hints on the best ways for getting salt out of
things, especially olives, would be appreciated. I wonder what an
olive tastes like straight from the tree. I imagine not so good,
otherwise how come we don't see them coming in that way?

TJ