Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz Sqwertz is offline

Default Grilled Cheese - Mayo on the outside

Somebody here recently mentioned putting mayo instead of butter on
the outside of the bread before you fry/toast it.

In theory, I thought, it should work just fine. Mayo has about
the same fat content as real butter or margarine, and mayo is
kinda rich like butter, and is easier to apply - so why not? Just
lower the heat a little to account for the egg solids cooking too
fast.

So it really does work acceptably, except that it makes the bread
slightly chewy, probably due to a higher water content in the
mayo. And I forgot my own advice to lower the heat so the first
side was a little scorched after a few seconds.

It's not ever going to become a fad, but it works in a pinch and
it's easier. I will use it again if ever out of butter. But it
didn't reduce my craving for a crispy, oily (unhomogenized)
grilled cheese; I'll have to make another one later tonight.

Grilled cheese tips: Never use any "spread" that is less than 70%
oil content. And instead of waiting for the butter to soften,
just heat a tablespoon of of cold butter in a pan, swish evenly to
coat bottom of small bread-size pan, then drop your pieces of
perfectly flat bread (not scrunched) in to the oil for 1.5 second,
lift and rotate bread 90 degrees and repeat. When you get good at
it, you can use as little as a table spoon of butter for both
pieces of bread (which is less than you'd use spreading it).

-sw