Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jinx Minx[_3_] Jinx Minx[_3_] is offline

Default Fresh Side Pork

"Lin" > wrote in message
> Jinx Minx wrote:
>
>> I ate side pork often growing up. It was cheap then and still is around
>> here, but probably not as good of quality as you found today. We used to
>> just pan fry it like bacon and serve it with mashed potatoes and milk
>> gravy. Simple food, but fond memories.

> Did you fry it in additional butter with salt? It's what was suggested to
> me since it's so lean. Seems to defeat the lower-fact aspects of the meat.
>
> --Lin

Usually there was sufficient fat on it to not need any extra for frying.
I'm curious to know how a super-lean one would taste by comparison. In my
mind, "lower fat" and "side pork" are diametrically opposed. :-) A little
salt and lots of pepper is all we'd use for seasoning.

Jinx