Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jinx Minx[_3_] Jinx Minx[_3_] is offline

Default Fresh Side Pork

"Lin" > wrote in message
> Today at the farmers market I also picked up a pound of fresh side pork.
> As it was explained to me it's bacon without the curing and salt. The
> slices/strips are thick and very lean -- almost like carnitas. Bob and I
> talked about the things we can do with it (and after googling it, it seems
> to be highly sought after) and wondered what others would do. This guy
> that we get the pork from seems to specialize in organic, low-fat, but
> highly flavorful grass fed pork products. His breakfast sausage is easily
> 90% or more lean, but the taste is amazing. He's getting a patent on his
> process and seasonings.
>
> Someone in the neighborhood is BBQing and that triggered the fresh side
> pork thoughts.
>
> --Lin

I ate side pork often growing up. It was cheap then and still is around
here, but probably not as good of quality as you found today. We used to
just pan fry it like bacon and serve it with mashed potatoes and milk gravy.
Simple food, but fond memories.

Jinx