Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Deep Fried Hamburger Patty

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> jmcquown wrote:

>> > Dyer's!
>> >
>> > I saw that on a food TV program!!!
>> >
>> > They've got 100 +/- year old grease, somehow. A private and ridiculous
>> > family secret, imho.
>> >
>> > A customer on camera said "I'll probably die 20 years earlier than I
>> > should." He definitely looked happy making that claim!
>> >
>> > Andy
>> >

>> They've changed locations several times and each time the grease is
>> accompanied by a police escort, which is (IMHO) ridiculous. But the
>> legend
>> lives on, doesn't it? The secret isn't so much keeping the same old
>> grease
>> as it is straining it daily and then adding to it, never actually
>> *changing*
>> it. I seriously doubt any of the original grease is still there.

> The really good commercial deep fryers have pumps and continuous
> filtration.

I wouldn't know a thing about pumps and continuous filtration. We're
talking 1978. The ice cream shop where I worked that also sold Dyer's
hamburgers drained the deep fryers every evening. They used large sheets of
folded cheesecloth as strainers and transferred the grease into buckets.
What happened after that, I have no idea. I wasn't involved with closing
the kitchen. But I do believe what I was told about how they stuck to that
"Dyer's" routine.

Jill