Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Smoked Abalone

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In >,
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone ever try smoking these? I just got a bunch from a friend.
> >> I normally use the slice thin, pound, then quick saute cooking method.
> >>
> >> This time I want to smoke them. I'm not sure if I should:
> >>
> >> - Cold smoke them whole
> >> - Slice, pound, then hot smoke (like at 160 F or so)
> >>
> >> Etc

> > As long as you don't mind smoke flavored shoe leather...
> > Go right on ahead.

> That's about as meaningful as your "nitrates are safer
> than nitrites" pronouncement.

<laughs> True. ;-) The nitrate vs. nitrite thing is something I grew
up with. Taught to me by my sainted mom.

If you can give me references to prove her wrong, I'm always willing to
be re-educated...

As far as abalone go tho', I'd not want to ever slow smoke them. When I
was a small child, mom and dad used to take us to the Tide Pools on the
west coast when Abalone were more common. They would build a pit fire
and grill the fresh caught abalone in their shells and serve them with
lemon and butter. Quick cooked like that, they were delectable and a
precious memory!

A lot of seafood benefits from quick cooking. Squid and abalone are
distantly related as mollusks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid

Squid benefits from hot and fast cooking, so do other mollusks. 2
minutes max. Anything over that and they'll need to be cooked for a much
longer time as they will turn tough at one point.

Smoking is a longer process. To me, that'd be a waste of perfectly good
abalone but as always, YMMV!

If the OP does smoke them, I'm interested in his results...
--
Peace! Om