Posted to rec.food.baking
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Tips on making a spherical cake!

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 06:45:22 -0700 (PDT), eli kintisch
> wrote:

>Folks:
>
>Some real expertise out here I thought I'd try to tap. I'm trying to
>make a cake in the shape of the earth. Past attempts have involved me
>pouring both halves of the batter into hemispheric glass pyrex bowls
>and then cutting off the rounded tops and connecting the two halves
>into a (well, obloid) sphere. Then I frost with blue for the ocean and
>paint on green for land (plus white for clouds etc)
>
>Fun! But problem: the cake's consistency. I need some more toughness,
>i think, because the bottom half can get smooshed. Or it can fall
>apart. Any suggestions? I've been using betty crocker cake mix (don't
>hate me!)
>
>Thanks, Eli

You need to use support between the hemispheres, such as one would
between layers of a wedding cake. There are many websites that
describe this.

You have the additional problem of wanting your shape spherical. you
may want to place the sphere on a cake layer to be able to build the
foundation of your support.

And yes, cake mixes do make for very soft cake, which can make
supporting it a tad more tricky.

Boron