Posted to alt.food.barbecue
TFM®[_12_] TFM®[_12_] is offline

Default Citrus wood running out of my ears...

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> On 3/22/2010 4:49 PM, Dave Bugg wrote:
>> JeffH wrote:

>>> Not sure what I'm missing here - so he'd just have a pile of wood and
>>> burn it. Wood burns down to coals. No? Why a special rig to do it
>>> then?

>> The oldest methods to do bbq will take raw wood, and burn it down to
>> coals
>> (you ever see the glowing red embers in a fireplace fire or in a
>> campfire?).
>> Once you get a buncha coals in the fire, you grab 'em with a shovel and
>> put
>> them in the pit. In some municipalities, they don't want people to build
>> big
>> ol' campfires on the front lawn, due to the risk of spreading fire.
>> Something like a burn-pit to contain the fire and help control sparks is
>> plus. At my place, I can dig a burn pit and not have the fire department
>> breathing down my neck.
>>

> This isn't for you Dave, as I assumed you are aware of this, just posted
> for others to learn,
> There is a simple 'pit' made out of a 55 gallon barrel, open top, rebar
> run through about 2/3's down spaced about 3 inches apart, then cut out a
> hole in the side, near the bottom, simply burn logs in barrel on rebar, as
> it burns down the coals fall through and then you shovel out what you
> need,

I didn't click the link, but that's exactly what I'm talking about.

The rebarb is the magic. It lets coals of a predertimined size drop through
to the shoveling area.

With a WSM, I don't need tons of coals as I would with a block pit.
That's why I'm in search of a 30 gallon drum...

TFM®