Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Beef Sklaughter and Rigor Mortis

In article >,
"Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > at which stage in the beef slaughter/packing plant does the beef gi
> > through rigor mortis?
> >
> > Do they rush it through into cryovac and let it RM there, or do
> > sides of beef hang for 12 hours at room temp before the primal
> > cuttings?

> Good question. I can't imagine pacers letting carcasses hang around very
> long. Growing up, we would kill, butcher, wrap, and freeze a steer all
> within two hours. Some cuts were allowed to age, but most were put into the
> deep freeze.

We also always cut, wrap and freeze meat (deer, ducks, chickens, emus,
etc.) sometimes before the carcass is even totally cooled. Still warm
from body heat when it goes into the freezer (or in the case of holiday
birds into the oven).

But, this is not standard butchering practice in the beef industry.

Not sure about pork.
--
Peace! Om

"We're all adults here, except for those of us who aren't." --Blake Murphy