Default Cuban cooking: "boliche"

J Krugman wrote:

> In > (PENMART01) writes:
>
> >There are many meat cuts that can be used, chuck, round...

> >You need to learn how to search: <boliche recipe>... many hits.

> I did, but the results were confusing and contrary to my experience
> of the dish...
>
> I'm beginning to suspect that the problem has to do with the
> information I got from my friend. She called the *cut of meat*
> "boliche", but I think that what she meant (or should have meant)
> was "the cut used in [a different dish called] boliche".
>
> So I was searching for "boliche, the cut" not "boliche, the dish".
>
> In all the boliche recipes I've found, including the one you posted,
> the meat is stuffed with chorizo and/or ham, which is decidedly
> *not* the case with the recipe I am trying to make. (I'm trying
> to make *Cuban* carne asada, though searching for "carne asada"
> gives me a million recipes for *Mexican* carne asada, and none for
> the Cuban version.)
>
> Another thing that threw me off is that I thought the eye of round
> cut was a large boxlike cut, something with the dimensions of a
> 1/2 gallon carton, and which is different from what I recall of my
> friend's recipe, namely a slenderer, *log-like* cut of meat, closer
> in dimension to a wine bottle without the neck. Adding to this
> confusion, there was one search result in which the explicit
> distinction was made between the "eye of round" cut and "the eye
> of the round". I interpreted this to mean that Cuban butchers cut
> out a *part* of what we call "eye of round", and this part is the
> eye of the round proper.
>
> So you see, I did search, but I just got *very* confused!
>
> Jill

OK, again from Nitza Villapol:

Carne asada con naranja

1 boliche (about 3 pounds)
1 tsp meat tenderizer
1 large onion
1 green pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 sour orange (or juice of three or four limes)
6 prunes, no seeds
1/4 pound sweet ham, sliced

-------------

2 slices of bacon
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup dry sherry
3 or 4 oranges (sweet, not sour)

Clean the boliche, prick with a fork and sprinkle with the meat tenderizer.
Perforate the meat with a sharp knife, making six holes. Place the prunes
wrapped in the ham slices.

Prepare a marinade with the mashed garlic, black pepper, sour orange juice.
Pour over the meat adding the sliced onion and sliced green pepper. Marinate
for at least 3 hours. It can be done the day before.

Heat a pot and fry the bacon slices until the fat is rendered. Drain the
boliche and brown in the fat until it is browned. Add the wine and the juice
of two oranges. Cook well covered at a low heat until it is tender. Add orange
juice as needed to make sure it does not scorch.

Slice across, half to three quarter inches thick slices. Pour the gravy on
top.

8 portions.

This is the second time I post a recipe quoting from Nitza Villapol's book.
She was a Cuban chef who published her recipes in a book called "Cocina al
Minuto". This book has been translated into English and you can probably find
it by doing a search in Google or in one of the bookstores. The book may be
under another author's name since her helper translated the book and published
it under her (the helper's) own name. Can you kids spell plagiarism?

If you have ever tasted black bean soup you should really try her recipe.
After you try it you may never like anyone else's version.