Default Cuban cooking: "boliche"

J Krugman wrote:

> I want to make a braised beef recipe that I got from a Cuban friend.
> This recipe calls for a cut that Cubans call "boliche", but that
> probably has no perfect equivalent in the US, since the animal is
> cut differently in the two countries. Does anybody know what part
> of the animal "boliche" comes from? And what's the American cut
> that's closest to boliche?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jill

Boliche is the eye round. Usually a whole eye round that is perforated
lengthwise and stuffed with either chorizo or ham.

Here is a recipe, translated from Nitza Villapol's "Cocina al Minuto":

"Carne mechada" (boliche)

1 eye round (about 3 pounds)
1/4 pound ham
1 slice of bacon
1 sour orange (or use juice of 3 or 4 limes
1/2 large onion
1 clove of garlic
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp dry sherry
1 large green pepper
1 sprig of parsley
3 laurel leaves
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp MSG

With a sharp knife make a cut lengthwise from each end of the meat. Cut the
ham into long slices and puch the ham and bacon into the cuts. Marinate the
meat with the sour orange juice, sliced onion, parsley, sliced green pepper,
mashed garlic, laurel and pepper.

Drain the meat, reserving the marinade. Brown the meat on all sides in the
oil. Add the sherry, salt, MSG and the liquid from the marinade. Cook at low
temperature in a covered pot for approximately an hour and a half.

Slice across in slices about half to three quarter inch thick. Serve with the
gravy.

This would probably be perfect too cook in a crockpot. Adjust time as needed.