Rick & Cyndi

Default Browning Flour

Joelle" > wrote in message
: >. You can have a terrific roux in less than 15 minutes;
: >which includes the browning of the flour, adding the butter
and
: >letting the two marry in the pan for a few minutes.
: >
:
: Okay I'm sold but I'm still a little in the dark about the
technique of
: browning flour. This is done in the oven? In the pan?
:
: Joelle
==========

In a pan on the stove top. Heat at about Medium-High. Toss the
flour in the pan and stir it around with a spatula every minute
or so.

Probably for your first time or two you may want keep a little
dish of plain flour nearby so that you can compare the color of
your dry-fry flour. It's really easy and once you start doing
your roux this way... I doubt you'll go back.

Some people put their flour on a baking sheet and brown it in the
oven. I haven't done this because I'm too lazy (another item to
wash! LOL) besides, I have to incorporate the butter into the
flour... so by dry-frying it in the skillet I'm saving a dish and
a step.

HTH,

--
Cyndi