Vox Humana

Default Spice Cake Mix for Fruit Cake?

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.. .
> Dan Wenz > wrote in news:l_ednWOB8szdOH6iRVn-
> :
>
> > My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
> > whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
> > one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
> > for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.
> >

> As a long time baker of various fruitcakes, I cannot imagine using an
> ordinary cakemix for the batter. Fruitcakes are geenrally made with a
> batter more akin to poundcakes. If I were forced to use a mix, I would
> choose a poundcake mix. Ordinary cake mixes produce too airy and light a
> cake to properly support the fruitcake ingredients.
>
> Wayne

I agree completely. Not only is the texture wrong, but the spices in boxed
spice cake mix are very weak and artificial tasting. I think you not only
need a dense batter, but you also need to use fresh, potent spices to
balance the extreme sweetness of the glace fruit and the stronger flavors of
the dates and currants.