Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default What To Serve With Stuffed Peppers?

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> I've got 6 nice red bell peppers and a bunch of bulk Italian sausage I
> made. I'm googling the pepper recipes but I'm not sure what else to
> make. I can make some bread and I've got stuff for a fresh salad.
> I've got a package of gnocchi and several types of pasta. I can use
> store bought spaghetti sauce or make a gorgonzola sauce. Or use the
> gorgonzola in the peppers and use the store stuff for pasta.
>
> I'm kinda overwhelmed and cornfuzed. What's usually served with
> stuffed peppers? Is stuffed peppers even an Italian dish or is it an
> American thing?
>
> Louise turns 29 today and I'd like to make a nice meal for her.
>
> TIA,
>
> Lou

Never thought of it as being an Italian thing, Lou. Mom made them and
stuffed them with the same mixture as she used for holubky (cabbage
rolls) -- ground beef, rice, onions, seasonings, cooked atop the stove
with tomato juice poured over.

I'd enjoy most any starch with them -- potatoes (diced and fried?),
halushky, gnocchi. I don't see a spaghetti noodle with them, though.
Got any pirohy on hand? That'd be good, too. Green salad. Cole slaw?
We know I'm not a gourmet cook; my tastes are pretty simple and basic.
Some good rye bread would be nice.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller 12/28/2009