Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mort Mort is offline

Default Spatchcock a duck?

Kent wrote:

> Have any spatchcocked and grilled a duck? Are there any special steps,
> particularly to deal with the fat rendering? I have a small 4lb duck to
> grill. I occasionally grill duck indirectly at a medium temp to render all
> the fat into a drip pan. Generally we rotisserue a duck indoors on the
> Farberware, an excellent way. The fat is great for cassoulet.
> Any thoughts or hints?
> TIA,

It'll work. You might want to use a slightly lower the temp
(than say, chicken) to give it extra time for all that
rendering. Be prepared for a boatload of fat to come off.

I've done it successfully with goose too, though it's not
something I'd ever do again.

Also, I found that no skin cuts are required for spatchcocked
duck/goose. It was not good actually, the skin ended up falling
apart.

--
Mort