Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_7_] dsi1[_7_] is offline

Default Cacique® Chorizo and eggs for breakfast

On 12/24/2009 11:13 AM, Jean B. wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

>>> That's enough to make me want to make it myself. I have recipes
>>> squirreled away, and it seems to be quite easy.
>>>
>>> Hmmm. How has soy crept into this?
>>>

>> In sausage like this I don't mind a little soy flour and TVP. How
>> about 96.5% or so to start? :-)
>>
>> Soybeans were big stuff in the 70s with my friend in the School of
>> Tropical Agriculture. I though those guys were always slackers for
>> choosing that field of study - I was right too. :-) They thought soy
>> was gonna be the food of the future. Looks like they were right! :-)
>>

> Well, as far as sales and making money goes. Other than that, I think
> this overconsumption of soy is extremely unwise.

I don't have any opinion in this matter since I haven't noticed any
overconsumption or reports of any problems with soy. However, I'll keep
on the lookout for this. It's likely that you're correct that there is
soy in a lot of foods we eat. The reason this is true is that the
economics favor it. These days, the money factor seems to be of primary
concern. It's the reason we have HFCS as the sweetener of choice and the
soon-to-be ubiquitous Talapia as the generic whitefish of choice. This
is our future it seems.