Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] is offline

Default How do I warm cooked dungeness crab?

In article >,
(Steve Pope) wrote:

> Rinse off the cooked crab. Twist and pull off each claw.
> With the tip of the knife, remove/discard the small triangular plate
> from the body, and pull off and discard the entire back shell
> (the carapace). Remove/discard any gills, spongey parts, bladders,
> and small paddles. Rinse and/or pull the guts out of the
> crab and discard.
>
> You now have pieces -- claws and body -- that can be rinsed
> again, cracked, their meat pulled out and eaten.

<Dungeness for two>
Yeah, but that's bland for presentation. Here's what I do:
2 Dungeness crabs
Rinse the crabs as you said
Remove the triangles from the bottom as you said
Lift the shells, starting from the poopy end, rinse and set aside
Gaze at the guts of the crabs
Ewww!
Clean out the peanut butter
Ewww!
Remove the feathery, fleshy gills, mouthparts and such
Ewww!
Pick out or rinse stuff you may have missed
Have a beer
Reassemble the crabs by putting the shells back on. They look fine after
this. Just like real crab.
Melt some butter and squeeze some lemon into it with perhaps a dash of
salt into small ramikens
Put out two nutcrackers, small forks, napkins and coleslaw.
Tell your sweetie to follow your lead and dig in.
</Dungeness for two>

leo