Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Cooking with a blowtorch

Steve B wrote:

> I have seen the small propane torches used in restaurant cooking to toast
> marshmallow toppings, and other things. I have seen them used to make foods
> more appealing during photography sessions. I have one of these, and I
> have propane and MAPP gases. Does using these small torches impart any
> taste to the foods?

When doing caramelization the flame definitely alters the flavor of the
sugar. Try comparing powdered sugar to caramel candy side by side to
get a closer experience of the effect.

> Would you use propane or MAPP?

I would use the type of gas the torch was made for because these are
explosive gases and it's dangerous to use them incorrectly. You wrote
that you have a "propane" torch. The terminology is specific and
important and not to be taken as a generic meaning. Use propane for a
propane torch, MAPP gas for a MAPP torch.

Having used both types, the MAPP torches burn hotter. The higher heat
will caramelize the sugar on top of cream brulee' very fast so I think
MAPP torches are better for cream brulee'. Don't be surprized if you
burn one while learning the pace but from there on you'll be making your
cream brulee' with a perfectly browned crispy shell.

Because marshmallows are lighter the less intense flame of a propane
torch might work better. The right tool for the job.