Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

"pure kona" wrote
> "cybercat" >

> I think Consumer Reports said the same, but when I went to my large
> local supermarket yesterday, alas, no such packet. Picked up some
> McCormick in case my own from scratch goes astray.

Man, I wish I had seen that report in time. Oh well, my backup is a jarred
sort. Local brand we found was pretty good. I'm slowly swinging back to
'USA' cooking from years in asia but never was much on the gravy angle.

I should have time to make the real thing this time as I'm just feeding us 3
and a few stray neighbors who have no kids and spouse out to sea. Gonna be
6 of us and one is bringing her 'signature ham' to fill out my 13lb turkey
(kinda late to change that).

None of what we here will be fixing is anything any of us would call 'super
fancy'. It's a local neighborhood thing and we've all had one anothers
cooking plenty of times, from the 'sublime to the supine'. We feel no need
to impress, but just to have fun and eat while we talk.

Menu as follows:
13 lb stuffed turkey (dressed up pepperidge farm)
7 lb ham, simple honey and coffee glaze with apricot jam
Attempt to make cranberry sauce (can if boff it at the ready)
lots of mashed potatoes
Lots of brussel sprouts
Lots of steamed bok choy
Simple butter cheese sauce for the veggies at desire
Sweet potato and carrot creamed soup for starter
corn on the cob (several have dentures and cant eat it)
southern biscuits (another making for a change and bringing)
Fresh fruit and cheese nibbles
Jello (gotta laugh, this is our 'fanci' cook but she gotta have jello for
T-day)
Pumpkin pie
Gravy, experienced person making from our pan stuff
4 known bottles of wine (we live in walking distance)

We already have way more than the 6 of us can eat.
I suspect I won't need the jars at all and will save them for another meal.