Rick & Cyndi

Default Browning Flour

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
: Joelle wrote:
: > Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour,
but I've come
: > across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then
add oil, and is
: > this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry
pan until it's
: > brown? Anything more to it?
: > Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or
can you just make a
: > roux?
: >
: > Joelle
:
:
: Don't brown the flour first unless you are trying to leave out
the oil.
: Browning dry flour without burning it is a real pain in the
ass. But you
: can brown about a pound of it in the oven (stir frequently) and
use it for
: a half dozen batches of gumbo without having to make a roux.
:
: Mix the browned flour with the sauted bell peppers, onions, and
celery
: right before you add the tomatoes and stock.
:
: Best regards,
: Bob
: ========

Huh. Ya know, I hear that a lot but (luckily) I've never had any
problems with dry frying the flour on the stove top. But I might
have a slight advantage with the lighting... I have a double
oven range with back-lighting just behind the burners. It makes
it much easier to tell when the flour is getting to that perfect
dark tan color.

FWIW, I also use butter (not oil) in my roux... makes for a great
flavor.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>