Posted to rec.food.cooking
Beartooth[_2_] Beartooth[_2_] is offline

Default Tongue in a pressure cooker

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:53:54 +0100, Victor Sack wrote:

> Beef tongue is sometimes available at a (pseudo)-Russian supermarket for
> 7 euros a kilo/2.2 pounds (in contrast, my regular food halls sells it
> for around 16-17 euros a kilo). I bought a tongue of about 1.7 kg/3.7
> pounds and cooked it in a pressure cooker, using a variation of my usual
> non-pressure-cooker recipe.
>

> Beef tongue in a pressure cooker
>
> 1 large onion, chopped
> clarified butter for frying
> 2 carrots, sliced
> 1 celery root (celeriac), trimmed and chopped 1 parsley root, chopped
> 1 parsnip, chopped
> 1 beef tongue, rinsed and, if necessary, trimmed of any throat parts
> beef stock, diluted with water
> 2 bay leaves
> some black peppercorns
> 4 medium potatoes, cubed
> parsley
> allspice
> salt
>
> In an open pressure cooker, fry the onions until soft, add the root
> vegetables and fry and bit more. Add the beef tongue and pour enough
> diluted stock to cover. Add the bay leaves, the peppercorns, allspice
> and salt. Bring to the boil over high heat. Once the scum starts to
> appear, keep removing it carefully until none is getting produced.
>
> Lock the lid of the cooker in place, bring up to pressure, reduce the
> heat to as low as possible to maintain the pressure and cook for one
> hour. Remove from heat and let the pressure fall naturally, about 15
> minutes.
>
> Remove the lid, take out the tongue (being careful, as some residual
> pressure can get trapped under the skin) and plunge it in cold water,
> running more cold water over it, until cool enough to handle. Remove
> the skin, which should be easy.
>
> Return the tongue to the pressure cooker, add the potatoes, replace the
> lid, locking it place, bring up to pressure and cook for 3 minutes, then
> let the pressure fall naturally again. Check for seasoning. Sprinkle
> with parsley and serve the tongue, cut into thick wide slices, together
> with the vegetables. Serve some horseradish sauce on the side, if
> desired.

Three suggestions. One, put the tongue on a nice, relatively high
rack, and add liquid just up to the rack, not over the tongue. The
pressure and corresponding temperature will still cook it just fine in an
hour, but more of the flavor will stay in the tongue.

Try it also with good French or German mustard.

If you have a smoker, smoke it, and shorten the cooking time
somewhat.

--
Beartooth Sciurivore, Curmudgeon On Line
All my hunts succeed -- and sometimes I get meat.