Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_2_] Kent[_2_] is offline

Default Safe Turkey Smoking Temp?

"piedmont" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>> What is the lowest temp you feel comfortable smoking a 15lb turkey, as
>> far as the risk of infection is concerned? How do you brown the skin, or
>> don't you? Have you gone as low as 200F. I did once years ago with my
>> Luhrs Jensen at a very low temp and then roasted the turkey following in
>> the Weber grill. This was as per the recipe in the Luhrs Jensen manual
>> for the smoker.
>>
>> Kent
>>

> Use standard temps to cook a turkey, 325 degrees without stuffing. Birds
> are better flavor if 'roasted' IMHO
> --
> Regards,
> piedmont

My first experience with attempting to water smoke the turkey in the WSM
sure confirms that. It's not worth the headache and you don't gain anything.

My routine is to toast indirectly, with coals on both sides of the drip pan
in the Weber 22", at about 325F as you do. I start with breast side down,
and rotate 90 degrees each half hour. I don't think you gain anything with
a rotisserie. I very much agree about no stuffing in the turkey. That gets
baked on the side with turkey stock and whatever else you add to it.

Kent