Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default How many layers is your lasagna?

zxcvbob wrote:

> Mine is (starting at the bottom): tomato sauce, noodles, ricotta,
> noodles, meat, just a little sauce, noodles, ricotta, noodles, sauce.
> Bake for about 45 minutes, top with grated mozzarella cheese mixed with
> a little oregano, and bake for 5 to 10 more minutes.
>
> It's good, but it tries to climb out of the pan during cooking. And
> when serving, it separates at the meat layer and the top slides off. So
> is there a better way to stack it? I think I have too many thin layers.
> And maybe the meat should be near the top instead of the middle.
>
> Bob

Using thin full sized sheets of fresh made pasta pretty much eliminates
sliding issues unless you seriously over-sauce. The fresh thin pasta
conforms to the surface textures unlike thick stiff individual strips,
and absorbs more liquid so it sticks much better. I don't think the
layer count matters much unless you are trying to out-layer someone. My
lasagna tends to run about 4 layers.