Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London Arri London is offline

Default Cooking Dry Hominy/Pozole

whirled peas wrote:

> Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to learn
> how to cook Pozole/Dry Hominy. I soaked a cup of store-bought dry hominy
> in a pan full of water for 24 hours. Drained and rinsed it several
> times. Then simmered in a pot full of water for 4 hours. The original
> cup of dry hominy swelled to over 5 cups of cooked hominy. It tasted
> pretty good.
>
> Now, the problem. The recipes I've found on the 'net casually say
> "remove the shells". I found they were still firmly attached to the
> kernels and couldn't be removed. The hominy was starting to fall apart,
> so it was probably overcooked. To my way of thinking, that should have
> just made the shells easier to remove, but I dunno.
>
> How do you cook them just right so that you can remove the shells/hulls?

Usually they hulls/shells fall off during the preparation of the
original nixtamal. When the corn has been soaked in the lime (CaOH)
solution, the hulls can be rubbed off. Not one of the traditional
posole recipes in my possession specify removing hulls after that point.

The prepared nixtamal you are using probably doesn't contain any hulls
anyway. So no worries. The posole should be cooked until it 'explodes';
it won't be done until that point.