Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default Cooking Dry Hominy/Pozole

"whirled peas" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to learn >
> how to cook Pozole/Dry Hominy. I soaked a cup of store-bought dry hominy
> in a pan full of water for 24 hours. Drained and rinsed it several >
> times. Then simmered in a pot full of water for 4 hours. The original >
> cup of dry hominy swelled to over 5 cups of cooked hominy. It tasted >
> pretty good.
>
> Now, the problem. The recipes I've found on the 'net casually say >
> "remove the shells". I found they were still firmly attached to the >
> kernels and couldn't be removed. The hominy was starting to fall apart, so
> it was probably overcooked. To my way of thinking, that should have ust
> made the shells easier to remove, but I dunno.

I don't recall ever seeing that instruction, but I wouldn't anyway. There
is nothing on my cooked hominy that I don't want to eat. I sure don't want
to overcook it so that it doesn't have that nice tooth. I don't think I
have ever cooked it as long as you did. I eat it with things, usually,
rather than in things, but I don't think it would make a difference to me.