Posted to rec.food.cooking
Don Martinich Don Martinich is offline

Default Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

In article >,
Damaeus > wrote:

> What is your experience with using butter versus shortening? So far, I'm
> not impressed with shortening, but I may have to blame the buttermilk if
> using butter in the next go-around results in the same type of experience.
>
> Damaeus

Like most Americans my age, I grew up eating shortening biscuits. Crisco
to be exact. Even my grandmother, who still used a wood stove, used
Crisco. She started off using lard of course and changed to Crisco in
the 20's or 30's. I think she also used canned milk (??) I prefer these
to butter biscuits. I often put butter on biscuits and that would be
over the top, butterwise. Since I've enjoyed pie crust with lard, I
would like to try it with biscuits.

D.M.