Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Shortening versus Butter in Homemade Biscuits

In baking butter is shortening, all fats are shortening. If you want to use
butter as shortening in your biscuits go right ahead, but I think plain
hydrogenated shortening makes a better cleaner tasting biscuit without
adding any flavor of it's own... when I spread good fresh butter on biscuits
I don't want that fresh buttery flavor contaminated by previously baked
butter that's been overly oxidized by being exposed to high oven
temperatures. There are very few breads, if any, that benefit from using
butter as a shortening... even in butter topped breads the butter is
drizzled on after baking... typical bread baking temperatrures will burn
butter. Butter works as a shortening in pastry and sweet doughs but not in
breads