Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Duwop[_2_] Duwop[_2_] is offline

Default Wood vs Charcoal?

On Jul 16, 5:34*am, (jj) wrote:
> A newbie question about wood vs charcoal. (lump not briquets)

Doesn't sound that newbish actually. Not many wood users here that I
can tell, I'm very much a neophyte using wood, hell, don't have the
space or wood regularly available or to make a burn barrel to burn
wood down to coals, though I'd sure like to. So take my observations
for what they are, just a fellow wood newbie.

> Is the main advantage of charcoal that all the sap/creosote/"low
> volatiles (aka wrong or harsh/rough smoke) have been burned off
> already so these won't contact your meat and impart undesireable
> flavors? *

That's one, lump's also a bit more uniform and easier to use for more
applications, e.g. grilling.

> So by adding water soaked wood chips, the BBQer can better control the
> timing and amount of the "right" or "smooth" smoke?

Well, it depends on the type of lump you buy, my local stuff tends to
be left a bit raw, with a bit of wood in it and it can actually
produce a bit too much smoke. No wood chunks or chips wanted.

And then there's the cut of meat you're cooking. IMO you can't
oversmoke something big like a brisket or butt, and since these two
cuts also take the heat well they're prime candidates for raw wood as
they've taken the two downsides to using raw wood, heat and smoke, out
of the equation.

> Does this mean that most/all "serious" BBQers who use wood first burn
> the wood down to coals away from the meat and then transfer the coals
> to the smoker?

That's my impression.

> I've got a lot of smaller mesquite cuttings and now I am thinking I'll
> burn em on a scrap steel plate and then shovel the coals/embers into
> the ECB.

Mesquite? Don't know nothing about the weed. Mebbe some Texan does.
Though as bitter as the lump can be, I have to imagine raw mesquite
could be too strong to use.

Let us know! <bg>