Posted to alt.food.barbecue
jj jj is offline

Default Wood vs Charcoal?

A newbie question about wood vs charcoal. (lump not briquets)

Is the main advantage of charcoal that all the sap/creosote/"low
volatiles (aka wrong or harsh/rough smoke) have been burned off
already so these won't contact your meat and impart undesireable
flavors?

So by adding water soaked wood chips, the BBQer can better control the
timing and amount of the "right" or "smooth" smoke?

Does this mean that most/all "serious" BBQers who use wood first burn
the wood down to coals away from the meat and then transfer the coals
to the smoker?

I've got a lot of smaller mesquite cuttings and now I am thinking I'll
burn em on a scrap steel plate and then shovel the coals/embers into
the ECB.

Hey I'm learning!

JJ