Dana Myers

Default Storing homemade BBQ sauce, how long in fridge?

Blues Lyne wrote:
> Any idea how long it's safe to keep a home made BBQ sauce in the
> refrigerator? It's a tomato based sauce, with tomato puree, vinegar,
> Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and spices, very low sugar.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but you (and
others might find it amusing). Many years ago, I decided to
try my hand at making my own pico de gallo-style salsa and
I had positively no idea what I was doing. I chopped up
tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, and I dunno what else
and mixed it up. It didn't taste right and I tinkered
with it for a while. It just wasn't right.

So I decided to save it overnight and look up some recipes,
get a clue what to do, so I put the small batch of salsa into
a used salsa jar and stashed it in the refrigerator. Well,
suffice it to say I forgot completely about that jar and
we moved a few times and it ended way in the back of the
fridge.

Probably 4 years later, my brother comes to visit from out
of town and he helped himseld to the contents of my fridge.
He was wolfing down a bag of tortilla chips with a jar of
salsa I did not know that I had; I was horror-stricken
when I realized it was *that* jar. He thought it was great
and protested when I insisted on taking it away. I was
really worried that he would fall seriously ill, but he
never did. It mighta served him right for mining the back
of someone's fridge without asking...

While I probably knew better already, it was a sharp
reminder of the importance of properly labelling
things and all.

Of course, I'd long since learned how to make salsa,
basically, don't try too hard and it is always good
(kinda like good Q).

Cheers,
Dana