Dimitri

Default why don't my hard boiled eggs peel?

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> My hard boiled eggs came out just right - not overcooked, not undercooked.

But
> for some reason they won't peel. Part of the white comes off with the

peel,
> leaving me with a torn-up egg (
>
> I boiled 10 min, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool. They sat

in
> that cold water for about 1 hour before i took them out and tried eating

one.

> What did i do wrong?
>
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Go here for "Tips" from the American Egg Board.

http://www.aeb.org/recipes/basics/ha...d_Egg_Tips.htm

"Very fresh eggs may be difficult to peel. The fresher the eggs, the more
the shell membranes cling tenaciously to the shells. Though many techniques
to make peeling easier have been tried, the simplest method is to buy and
refrigerate eggs a week to ten days in advance of hard cooking. This brief
"breather" allows the eggs to take in air which helps separate the membranes
from the shell. Before peeling, it's important to crackle the shells until
they have a fine network of lines all over. Eggshells usually come off much
more readily, without tearing the whites, when they're in small pieces
rather than large chunks."

Dimitri